Catalonia attacks had been planned “for some time” – police

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 18, 2018) (GOVERNMENT TV) – Two deadly attacks in Catalonia on Thursday (August 17) and in the early hours of Friday (August 18) had been planned for some time by people operating out of the town of Alcanar, police said.

Alcanar was the site of an explosion in a house shortly before midnight on Wednesday (August 16), in an incident which police are now linking to the attacks.

In a news conference in Barcelona on Friday, the regional police chief Josep Lluis Trapero, said three of the people arrested so far over the attacks are Moroccans and a fourth person in custody is a Spaniard.

He added none had a history of terror-related activities and they were aged between 21 and 34.

Police said they had still not identified the driver of a van who mowed down pedestrians in central Barcelona and then fled the scene on foot.

It was possible that this man was among five suspects shot dead in the resort town of Cambrils early on Friday, but nothing was yet certain, the police chief said.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply