News agency says Islamic State followers carried out California attacks

The Aamaq news agency, which supports Islamic State, says followers of the Islamist militant group carried out Wednesday’s attack on a social services agency in California, in which 14 people were killed.

INTERNET (RECORDED DECEMBER 4, 2015) (AAMAQ NEWS AGENCY) – An article written by a news agency linked to Islamist militants said on Friday (December 4) that two followers of Islamic State carried out the California mass shooting on Wednesday (December 2) that left 14 people dead.

It was not clear whether the Aamaq News Agency article contained any original reporting or whether they had reported a connection to Islamic State based on international media reports earlier in the day citing U.S. officials who said the female suspect had pledged allegiance to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Facebook.

“Two followers of Islamic State attack a San Bernardino center in the American state of California. The two attackers fired into the centre resulting in 14 deaths and wounding 17 others before escaping. They were later killed as a result of gunfire between them and the American police who had pursued them for a few hours. It is reported that the two attackers were married and of Pakistani origin, the attack came days after American officials said the United States was far from ‘terrorist attacks’. This operation comes after the bloody Paris attacks which was carried out by (Islamic) State fighters on November 13 that killed tens, and following a martyrdom operation against presidential security in the centre of the Tunisian capital,” the article read.

Tashfeen Malik, 27, and her husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, were killed in a shootout with police hours after the Wednesday massacre during a holiday party at the Inland Regional Center social services agency in San Bernardino, about 60 miles (100 km) east of Los Angeles. The attack was the deadliest mass shooting the United States has experienced in three years.

Before going on their rampage on Wednesday, Malik and Farook had destroyed computer hard drives and other electronics, a U.S. government source said.

Twenty-one people were wounded in the attack, the worst gun violence in the nation since the December 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply