Former CIA director Petraeus pleads guilty to federal charge -DOJ

Former CIA director David Petraeus pleads guilty in federal court to a charge of unauthorized removal and retention of classified information, the U.S. Justice Department says.

WASHINGTON D.C. UNITED STATES (RESTRICTED POOL) – Former CIA director and U.S. Army General David Petraeus has pleaded guilty in federal court to a charge of unauthorized removal and retention of classified information in a case arising from his affair with a female Army Reserve officer, the U.S. Justice Department said on Tuesday (March 3).

Documents disclosing Petraeus’s guilty plea were filed in federal court in Charlotte, North Carolina. An attorney for Petraeus, Robert Barnett, said he had no immediate comment.

A Justice Department investigation into Petraeus had focused on whether he gave the woman, Paula Broadwell, access to his CIA email account and other highly classified information.

Petraeus quit his post as CIA director in 2012 after the extramarital affair became publicly known. Petraeus also is one of the leading U.S. military commanders in recent times, having served as commander of American forces in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Petraeus had previously said he did not provide classified information to Broadwell, who was writing his biography at the time of the affair.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply