LONDON, BRITAIN (MAY 26, 2017) (UK POOL) – British police have arrested a “large part of the network” behind this week’s Manchester suicide bombing but more arrests are likely, the country’s top counter-terrorism&redirect=yes"> officer said on Friday (May 26).
Mark Rowley said “immense” progress had been made in the investigation into Salman Abedi who killed 22 people, many of them children, at a concert in Manchester on Monday.
“They’re very significant these arrests. We’re very happy we have got our hands around some of the key players that we’re concerned about. But as I say there is still a little bit more to do,” Rowley told broadcasters.
Since the attack, armed police backed up by the army have been patrolling cities and trains. Interior minister Amber Rudd said the threat level remained at its highest level, “critical”, meaning another attack is expected imminently.
The chief constable of Greater Manchester police, Ian Hopkins, said there had been an increase in reports of hate crimes in his area – to 56 on Wednesday (May 24) from 28 – the daily average number – on Monday (May 22).
“Whilst we can’t directly link these to the events of Monday night, we are continuing to monitor the situation and support our communities,” he told reporters. “We will not tolerate hate crime here in Manchester.”