PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 30, 2017) (REUTERS) – Protesters disrupted the opening of a retrospective of Roman Polanski’s work in Paris on Monday (October 30) following new rape allegations against the French-Polish film director.
Some 80 protesters outside the Cinematheque Française, which is showcasing Polanski’s films next month, banged on windows and carried posters with slogans such as, “If rape is an art, give Polanski all the (French movie award) Cesars”.
Two members of the Femen group briefly exposed their breasts and shouted “no honours for rapists” in the presence of Polanski before security pushed them outside.
Polanski, who had entered the building through a back entrance, was set to present his new movie “Based on a True Story” at the event.
Earlier this month, Swiss prosecutors said a former German actress and model had told authorities that Polanski raped her at his mountain chalet in 1972 when she was 15 years old.
Langer is one of four women who have publicly accused Polanski, 84, of sexually assaulting them when they were teenagers.
Polanski, director of classic films like Rosemary’s Baby, The Pianist and Carnage, has fled U.S. sentencing in 1978 for unlawful sex with 13-year-old Samantha Geimer in Los Angeles in 1977 in a case where he pleaded guilty at the time.